Pages - Menu

Monday 25 November 2013

where i went : vampire weekend // manchester


On 17th November, I went to see Vampire Weekend at the Phones4u Arena in Manchester.
Noah and the Whale were opening for them, which I thought was a bit of an odd choice.
I consider Noah and the Whale to be pretty much on par with Vampire Weekend, in terms of popularity.
I was surprised that it was an arena tour, as 'Modern Vampires of the City' is only their third album.

I think it was an over-ambitious decision. Standing was full, but the seated area looked sparse.
They would have been better playing a smaller venue that was packed than a half-empty arena.
Despite the poor turn out, they played a brilliant show. 


Ezra Koenig. That man has the best sense of humour; have you seen his tweets?
His response to the half empty/half closed arena was: "I think someone vomited in the back there"
Oh Ezra..

For me, Vampire Weekend are a band that sound equally as good (if not better) live, than on record.
At times Ezra's voice was obviously auto-tuned, but let's be honest, who cares? It still sounded good.
The set list was spot-on. I was worried about it being mostly new stuff but they definitely had the right balance.

The highlight of the evening was probably Chris Baio's fantastic dance routine.
I'll leave you with this little montage of his moves. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment