Pages - Menu

Wednesday 13 November 2013

news : the virgins announce split


New York band The Virgins have decided to call it a day.
Another totally unexpected split within the space of a week (Tribes were last week; read about it here).

The announcement was made via Twitter this afternoon, by frontman Donald Cumming:
"There's nothing I hoped to do with The Virgins that we haven't done. It's been an incredible experience..
I want to thank everyone who was a part of it, but now it's time to move on. I'll see you in my dreams."
Their recently schedueled European tour has subsequently been cancelled, and ticket refunds will be made from the point of purchase. 

Speaking to Rolling Stone magazine earlier today, Cumming said that he's beginning a solo project in the next few weeks, because he wants to continue 'to do new things'. 
He also said how proud he was of the band's second (and final) album, 'Strike Gently', which was released via Julian Casablancas' label Cult Records earlier this year.
He felt that it was a good place to end the band.

There seems to be a bit of a pattern here; the second album isn't as well-received as the first, and the split comes (seemingly) out of the blue. 
I just hope this is the last of what seems to be a mass-culling of talented bands, or I won't know what to do with myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment