Pages - Menu

Thursday 19 September 2013

review : arctic monkeys // AM


A little bit later than I'd hoped (better late than never).. here are my thoughts on Arctic Monkeys' 5th album, 'AM'
The first thing I'll say is this: if you're the kind of person who likes a band to stick to the same sound throughout their career, then you probably won't like it. 
But who is stupid enough to have that mindset? A few pretentious Alex Turner fangirls perhaps, but certainly not me. 
I've loved seeing the evolution of their sound. Every album is completely different from the previous one, and somehow it always works. 

'AM' is a proper rock record, but it's got a lot more to offer than just noisy guitars. 
The beats are unmistakably R&B/hip-hop, and there's enough shoo-wopping to make any 1960s girl group envious.
It truly is modern-age rock'n'roll (which was only to be expected once Alex Turner began channelling his inner Elvis).

photo: nme.com

It's obvious why the singles were chosen as the singles.. but as a collective it works so well together.
My personal favourites are 'Arabella' (not biased, promise), 'Fireside', and 'I Want It All'.

I think this record shows Arctic Monkeys in a different light - so much more sophisticated than just a bunch of likely lads from Sheffield (with a lot of attitude).
I can't wait to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment